Tuesday, August 31, 2010

IRLS 675: Unit 1: A Forming Digital Collection

Although the assignment says that we should use "15-20" objects as the core of our experimental digital collection, I am hoping to make a collection of nine paintings by Austin G. Ohm as photographed/digitized by R.P. Murphy. Both of these artists are friends of mine and Ohm's work appears as the permanent picture at the top of this blog (though this painting is not one of the nine, though it occurs to me that it could be the tenth!).

As these artists are relatively unknown, alive and still producing, I am hoping to make an accessible online database that the artists themselves can add to, refer others to, and allow the artists themselves to see the ease and power such an online presence can have on them and their audience.

I hope to make the work searchable by artist, size, value and title. It occurs to me that, as these are works new to the world for the most part, that searching will prove difficult unless I can think of something that the potential user might require. Perhaps there will be a manner in which I can allow users to tag the paintings? As the collection is so small, it seems obvious that one could simply click through all nine in a few seconds. Hmm, is this going to be the right collection? I could add other art works by the same artist but within other genres of art, i.e. he also makes sculptures and I know of a video or two that he has authored.

No comments:

Post a Comment