Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Becoming Larval


I enter my Ubuntu Linux system this week to configure the system using the text editor. I follow the assignment without always comprehending every input but with a growing awareness of what an operating system is and what configuring one means, it’s like changing the settings on an Atari or an iPhone. Only there’s this CLI instead of the GUI to which we’ve all grown accustomed, the mouse has been killed by the cat and the text editor is modal. (The one question I cannot answer correctly on this week’s quiz is in regards to which text editors are modal. Any help?). All my system configuring goes smoothly and, although I am new to the CLI and OS configuration at this level, I am reminded of all the devices that I have had to install or build in my life and I just follow the instructions and everything seems to work well.

I learn a number of funny terms this week such as the verb “to glark,” which means to learn something from context. And I learn from personal experience that a debbie can skip the newbie stage, proceed straight to larval hacker, and then decide by the length of facial and or other hair that one has reached the stage of hacker pure and simple. I’ve probably got at least ten years to go.

B.A.W.
B.A.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment