Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Groups and Users

This week found me adding and manipulating Groups and Users in both my Ubuntu Linux distro that I have installed on my VM software on my Mac and on a remote desktop running at the University of Arizona where our class practices in what is dubbed the "Digital Sandbox." I used the CLI and Webmin on my Ubuntu server and was meant to compare and contrast the experience of the CLI versus the GUI. I found them both kind of fun, honestly, which is great as one of the primary goals for me of studying technology is to overcome apprehension and needless worry concerning all things electrical.

I also used a GUI on the remote desktop for the first time which was most interesting as I have only ever used the CLI on the remote desktop. Many of my fellow students have complained of the lag in the response in the remote connection and I think this (although it has had little impact on my own experience so far) exacerbated in the GUI. Perhaps there is a lesson in this? Is the CLI more responsive than a mouse-centric interface like a GUI over remote connections? I would have to say yes at this point which makes me again say with surprise that I am beginning to prefer the CLI in some situations. Especially situations that I can see myself working in, or just having fun in, in the future.

On another note, study of Linux has had some unexpected collateral benefits for this WordPress dog! After abandoning my WordPress blog about six months ago because I could not get a photo to upload, I again reengaged the problem the other day for no apparent reason. Immediately upon investigating the situation, I now realized that I understood much more about WordPress than I used to. I now understood, for example, what it really means that WordPress is open source for the first time. I went to help forums for help. I recognized, for the first time, a by now not wholly unfamiliar structure of directory name that had those familiar slash marks. And, last but not at all least, I have grown much more bold when it comes to seeking support (especially when you often have already paid for it!). So, after learning many great things and having quite a few a-ha moments, I got my blog just where I want it thanks to the support personnel at my friendly neighborhood web-hosting service. People this old dog was paying for the past three years and had never once called upon for help! Technology's bark is the shout of a dog yelling "Hello, friend!" and there isn't usually a bite, just like real dogs.









No comments:

Post a Comment